Saturday, August 11, 2012

Book Review ~ Masquerade by Cambria Hebert

When I decided to read and review Masquerade I never even thought to read the description so I did not know what I was getting myself into. This made for a bit of suspense as far as not knowing what kind of supernatural creatures might be lurking in the dark. Although it takes almost three quarters of the book to really know what creatures might show face in this series they are written with a creative twist on some old mythologies.  

For me, sometimes the characters in YA books can be a little too “annoying” in an immature bubbly kind of way. There were some elements of the whiny teenage drama queen but it does work for the characters in this book. The main character Heven not only grows on you as the reader but she grows into herself. Heven faces her fears both real and imagined but you will need to read Masquerade to find out how for yourself. 

This is a true YA romance with just enough heat to keep us adult readers looking for more. Cambria is able to really bring back the rush and excitement of a new crush or a new boyfriend. And in this book the main young man has just the right amount of bad boy that every girl truly desires, but does he have enough of a good heart and good intentions? Again, you will need to read this one to find out. 

This book is written from multiple points of view. At times I found the sub characters pov’s a little confusing and needed to reread them to clarify who was speaking. In the end they all came together to make fantastic sense. Although I do still have my theories about whom one of them might be. 

As a female I loved reading the perspective of the main male character Sam. He really draws you into his world. Cambria had a skilled hand in knowing when to change pov. There was just enough overlap to give a rounded sense of what was happening without unnecessary filler of just repeating the same scene. 

This ebook is worth well more than what it is currently listed at. Just when you thought the book could be over it just kept giving. There are some twists and turns that kept me on the edge of my seat. I wish I could say more, but I wouldn't want to spoil the adventure.

I would give this book as an adult reader 4.5 stars but if I was a teen I would probably give it 5. I truly enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I have the prequel short story Before waiting on my kindle now.



3 comments:

  1. What a great first review! Thank you so much for the time and thought you put into your review!! I really enjoyed hearing your thoughts on Masquerade!!
    I think you have a great future in store for you as a reviewer!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Great review! The Heven and Hell series is simply amazing. Glad you liked it as well! Welcome to the reviewing world!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome first review and killer book to start off with too :)

    ReplyDelete