Monday, July 9, 2012

Realistic accuracy while writing paranormal fantasy

It almost seems like an oxymoron to think about making sure that elements of my book are realistic. Even though I am writing a book with paranormal and perhaps some supernatural elements, I want it to be believable. I think there is a fine line between fantasy and reality. Something about a fantasy world that "could" be true seems easier for a reader to relate to. It is more likely to be drawn into a book and a world in which you can imagine yourself a part of.

Here is where the super natural elements can be tricky. We all have a preconseived notion about what supernatural creatures there are, how they might look, and how they act based on what we have previously read or watched on television.

As a writer and a director if you will of this new reality there are choices to be made. Will my charcters possess charecteristics that follow the main stream expectations, will they be a twist on the old, or will I divert and create a new world with new supernatural entities?

There is something comforting in the old, but we all crave the excitement of something new and unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment